Toyota's poor quality software and fatal accidents:

Toyota’s poor quality software and fatal accidents: “”"The crucial aspect in the failure scenario described by Michael is that the stack overflow did not cause an immediate system failure. In fact, an immediate system failure followed by a reset would have saved lives, because Michael explains that even at 60 Mph, a complete CPU reset would have occurred within just 11 feet of vehicle’s travel.

Instead, the problem was exactly that the system kept running after the stack overflow. But due to the memory corruption some tasks got “killed” (or “forgotten”) by the OSEK real-time operating system while other tasks were still running. This, in turn, caused the engine to run, but with the throttle “stuck” in the wide-open position, because the “kitchen-sink” TaskX, as Michael calls it, which controlled the throttle among many other things, was dead.
“”"

Originally shared by Peter da Silva

Interesting article about the Toyota sudden acceleration problem, I’ll have to read some of the linked articles too because ‘single stack preemptive multitasking’ breaks my brain.
http://embeddedgurus.com/state-space/2014/02/are-we-shooting-ourselves-in-the-foot-with-stack-overflow/

Not but a year ago, when we bought a new Toyota, the sales-droid cheerfully explained to us the nifty carpet clips that Toyota had added to avoid unintentional acceleration accidents. I’m not sure how those clips stop stack overflows. Maybe I should call him back…